Miss Pavlova with Summer Fruits

I survived my final year in the university because I was selling these babies of pavlova! Imagine not going to the autoteller machine (ATM) or asking for pocket money from your parents for weeks because you were not cashless. Ah-ha, now that caught your attention. 


This is one of my best selling baked goods even though until now I have yet mastered the art of keeping it in a great shape ahh whatever I'm just gonna share the recipe that I have been using since forever. This recipe is adapted from a video on Videojug. It's the simplest yet the best, well I think.



The meringue:
5 egg whites
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp vinegar

Toppings:
Strawberries
Blueberries
Grapes
Fresh cream
Chocolate sauce (optional)
Icing sugar (optional)


  1. The meringue is made with 5 eggs whites and 1 1/3 cups of sugar (I used only 1 cup cus I like it less sweeter). 
  2. Whisk the egg whites until they're stiff then beat in half the sugar. 
  3. Continue beating while you add the remaining sugar with 1 teaspoons cornflour and 1 teaspoons white vinegar. The meringue should be glossy and stiff. 
  4. Take a flat baking sheet and cover with baking parchment. Spread the meringue in a circle approximately 9" in diameter with a slight dip in the middle. 
  5. Sprinkle with a little caster sugar and bake in the oven 170C for 40-60 minutes, until the baking paper peels away easily from the base of the meringue. 
  6. It shouldn't be too coloured, just very slightly golden. When it's done, turn off the oven and open the oven door, letting the meringue cool completely before you remove it.
  7. Remove the paper and put the meringue on a serving dish. 
  8. For the topping, whipped about a cup (or more) fresh cream. 
  9. Fill the central hollow with whipped cream and drizzle chocolate sauce or salted caramel sauce.
  10. Finally, top with plenty of fruit. You may use any fruit you like but I like mine with plenty of fresh summer fruits. 
  11. Sprinkle some icing sugar for a dramatic touch.

I figured out recently that pavlova won't be too marshmallowy if you let it dry for a couple of days before filling it in with whipped cream. Guess what? It's a happy discovery for me as I do not like my pavlova to be too marshmallowy on the inside. I like it crusty and melt easily in my mouth!


Also, if you'd like to make mini pavlova instead, bake them babies for 30-40 minutes only or until the colour slightly change.


Tips: Pavlova or macarrons are desserts that are best baked in cold weathers especially at dawn, before 10am, or at night (which I normally do). Avoid using fresh eggs like the super fresh ones. Use the aged ones (the ones that are not labelled as daily fresh or some sort) and AVOID cold eggs (refrigerated ones). Let it lepak until it reach room temperature okayyy.


No comments:

Post a Comment